"And the day came when the risk it took to remain tightly closed in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to BLOOM…This is the Element of Freedom"

-Alicia Keys

11 November 2012

The Veterans in my family

Today, I honor my beloved Grandpa, my Uncle Bill, my Great-Uncle Anthony Joseph (killed on D-Day), my Great-Uncle Sidney, all who served our country and are no longer with us.  I also honor my soon-to-be 90 year old Poppy (WWII) and his son, my Uncle Mike, who served in Vietnam and makes me laugh every time I talk to him.

{WWII B-17 : photo from here}
I also honor their wives and mothers, who sent the loves of their lives or their flesh and blood out into battle.  I think of both my Grandma & my Nanny, who watched their husbands fight in WWII and then their sons go to Vietnam.  I never thought about what that really meant until I had a son of my own.  I look all mothers of our soldiers differently now that I have sweet little Carter.

Thank you for your bravery, for your courage and for the sacrifices that you made for your country!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails